About the Early Childhood Education Council
Joining the Council
Awards and Scholarships
Early Childhood Education Journal
Issues, Events & Ideas
Connecting Early Childhood Education Teachers
Taking Action on Issues
Early Learning Galileo Project
Who to contact
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION COUNCIL
1. NAME The name of this organization shall be the Early Childhood Education Council of The Alberta Teachers’ Association.
2. OBJECTIVES The objectives of this council shall be:
a. to improve practice in the specialty be increasing members knowledge and understanding of this specialty;
b. to foster the professional development of members through membership activities and services;
c. to provide advice and expertise to the Association on learning and working conditions, curriculum and teacher preparation as related to early childhood education; and
d. to act through the Association as an advocate for the advancement and promotion of early childhood education.
Eligibility for regular, student, or affiliate membership in this council is determined by the following criteria:
3.1 Regular Membership ‑ Active members of the Alberta Teachers’ Association, associate members who are ineligible for active membership, and life members of the Association as specified in ATA bylaws are eligible for regular membership in this council. All such members shall be entitled to full privileges of Council membership including the rights to vote and hold office.
3.2 Affiliate Membership ‑ Persons who are not eligible for ATA membership as specified in ATA bylaws may join this specialist council as affiliate members. Such members may receive all the benefits and services of Council membership except the rights to vote and to hold office.
3.3 Student Membership ‑ Student members of the ATA may join this council and shall be entitled to all benefits and services of council membership except the right to hold office.
3.4 Subscription Service ‑ Organizations interested in receiving council publications only may subscribe for such publications upon payment of a fee which shall be more than that for a regular membership.
3.5 Membership in specialist councils is not available to those individuals who, under the Teaching Profession Act and the Teacher Membership Status Election Regulation, are eligible to make an election of membership and elect associate membership or non-membership in the Alberta Teachers’ Association.
4. FEES Membership fees shall be established by resolution at the annual general meeting of this council.
5. TABLE OFFICERS The table officers of this council shall consist of:
5.2 President‑elect (to be elected for a term of one year by mail ballot)
5.3 Secretary (elected biennially)
5.4 Treasurer (appointed for a three‑year term with the option of renewal)
5.5 Past President
5.6 Representative appointed by Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers’ Association.
5.7 PEC liaison member (non‑voting ATA appointment)
5.8 Conference director (executive member appointed on an ad hoc basis).
To be eligible to become an officer of the Early Childhood Education Council a candidate must be a regular member of the council.
6. EXECUTIVE The executive of this council shall consist of all members of the table officers’ committee plus
6.1 all regional presidents
6.2 the journal editor
6.3 the newsletter editor
6.4 a Department of Education representative (non‑voting)
6.5 a university representative (non‑voting)
6.6 chairmen of ad hoc committees (non‑voting).
7. ELECTIONS Elections for the positions of President‑elect and Secretary shall be held annually and biennially respectively. Nominations for eligible offices will be called for in February and the Nominations Committee will present the slate of candidates in Issues, Events and Ideas along with mail-in ballots. Positions filled by acclamation are subject to ratification at the May Provincial Executive Meeting. The President‑elect shall succeed to the position of President and Past President by acclamation.
The term of office for all executive members shall be from August 1 to July 31 of any given year. The transition may be made from June through August.
8. COMMITTEES This council shall maintain standing committees as outlined in the Executive Handbook. The table officers or the executive may establish such additional committees as are necessary to carry on the work of the council.
9. LIAISON Any representation this council wishes to make to any organization, government department, or other agency shall be conducted through the Provincial Executive Council or other regular channels of The Alberta Teachers’ Association.
10. REGIONAL COUNCILS The executive committee of this council shall encourage and shall have authority to grant recognition to regional councils, to establish the boundary of regions, and to establish regulations governing the organization of regional councils not inconsistent with this constitution or guidelines of The Alberta Teachers’ Association. The executive shall have the power to disband a regional council.
11. REPORTING ACTIVITIES This council shall submit annually, not later than August 31, an audited financial statement, a statement of assets and liabilities, an annual report of program and activities and a copy of the current constitution to The Alberta Teachers’ Association.
Executive ‑ The executive committee shall be the executive administrative body of this council. It shall meet at least two times per year and shall conduct the affairs of the council between annual general meetings.
General ‑ This council shall hold an annual general meeting, the agenda of which shall provide for the topics listed below:
12.1 Adoption of minutes from the preceding annual general meeting and any special general meetings held in the interim.
12.2 Annual reports from the President and the Treasurer.
12.3 Reports of committees.
12.4 A financial statement for the preceding fiscal year.
12.5 A budget.
12.6 Revisions to the fees for membership.
12.7 Amendments of this constitution for which the required notice of motion has been served.
12.8 Other business.
After three months’ notice of motion to amend the constitution being given to each member, this constitution may be amended by a two‑thirds majority vote of the members present at the general meeting of the council, subject to ratification by the Provincial Executive Council of The Alberta Teachers’ Association.
14. NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
After the same notice of motion that is required for amendments to this constitution, the Early Childhood Education Council, by a majority vote of those voting members present at the annual general meeting may, subject to approval by Provincial Executive Council, join or affiliate with national or international organizations representing the same special interests or cancel its membership or affiliation with national or international organizations.
Original Constitution, November 24, 1966
Amended 1997 11 26
Amended 2005 04 07/08 by Provincial Executive Council (legislated membership changes)Amended 2007
Early Learning Galileo Project
Who to contact
© 2010 The Alberta Teachers’ Association